Yes, it is true that Senator Kamala Harris is:
- the FIRST WOMAN OF COLOR to be nominated for national office by a major party;
- the FIRST PERSON OF SOUTH ASIAN HERITAGE to be nominated for national office by a major party;
- the FIRST PERSON OF COLOR to be named as a running mate by a major party;
- the FIRST WESTERNER to be named as a running mate by the Democratic Party; and
- the FOURTH WOMAN to be nominated for national office by a major party (none of the prior nominees have won).
This however is also the FIRST PRESIDENTIAL TICKET made up of CLBR HEROES from our Annual Heroes and Zeros Show.
- Joe Biden was a 2016 HERO for his moving response to Stanford student Chanel Miller’s powerful courtroom message to her attacker, Brock Turner. Biden, who wrote the 1994 Violence Against Women Act, penned “An Open Letter to a Courageous Young Woman” in response:
I do not know your name — but I will never forget you.
The millions who have been touched by your story will never forget you.
And if everyone who shared your letter on social media, or who had a private conversation in their own homes with their daughters and sons, draws upon the passion, the outrage, and the commitment they feel right now the next time there is a choice between intervening and walking away — then I believe you will have helped to change the world for the better.
- Kamala Harris was named a Hero in 2012-2015 for her work on privacy and revenge porn matters as California’s Attorney General and in 2017 for introducing the first revenge porn bill in the U.S. Senate.
BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE.
This will be the FIRST PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION involving CLBR HEROES AGAINST A MULTI-ZERO WINNER – Donald J. Trump (2015-2019).
So while CLBR Heroes and Zeros Year-End Special was an irreverent and snarky way to highlight those that did go and those that did bad on the internet in a given year, given what is at stake in this election I urge YOU to be a 2020 HERO simply by voting.