Internet Association’s Ari Giovenco
on Digital Trade Under Trump
Digital Trade 2017
Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP)
- Signed February 4, 2016.
- Parties: Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, the United States (until 23 January 2017) and Vietnam.
- US withdrew January 13, 2017
Resources: Transpacific Partnership (TPP): Background Materials – Cyber Report (Apr. 25, 2015); TPP Background Update – Cyber Report (Aug. 22, 2016); CLBR #190: US Chamber of Commerce’s Tami Overby on the TPP (Jul. 22, 2015); CLBR #201: The Movement Against the TPP (Nov. 18, 2015).
Trade in Services Agreement (TiSA)
- Launched April 2013
- Parties: 23 Countries (includes EU) representing nearly 70 percent of the world’s $55 trillion services market.
Resources: Trade in Services Agreement (TiSA) Negotiations: Overview and Issues for Congress – Congressional Research Service (Jan. 3, 2017)
North American Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- Effective January 1, 1994
- Trump Administration sent notice to Congress to renegotiate on May 18, 2017, triggering 90-day comment period.
Resources: NAFTA Renegotiation Backgrounder – Cyber Report (May 23, 2017).
China and Digital Trade Barriers
- Cited by USTR on Foreign Trade Barriers
- American Enterprise Institute is calling for WTO action Against the Chinese
US ITC Investigations
- The first investigation, Global Digital Trade I: Market Opportunities and Key Foreign Trade Restrictions, will describe the current landscape and recent developments in digital technologies used by firms, as well as digital technologies used by consumers. It will also provide market information for digital products and services both in the United States and in key foreign markets such as the European Union, China, Russia, Brazil, India, and Indonesia — especially those products and services that can scale globally. The investigation will assess the rate of adoption of digital technologies in the United States as well as in foreign markets with further study of the importance of both domestic and cross-border data-flows. Finally, the report will describe regulatory and policy measures in important markets abroad that may impede digital trade. The report will be delivered to USTR by August 29, 2017, and released to the public soon thereafter.
- The second investigation will analyze measures that affect the ability of U.S. firms to develop or supply digital products and services to firms abroad.
- The third investigation will analyze measures that affect the ability of U.S. firms to develop or supply digital products and services to consumers abroad. It also will assess the impact of those measures on the competitiveness of U.S. firms supplying digital products and services and on international trade and investment flows associated with digital trade.
EU Single Digital Market
- Initiative launched in 2015
The Internet Association
The Internet Association’s (
@InternetAssn) mission is to foster innovation, promote economic growth, and empower people through the free and open internet. The internet creates unprecedented benefits for society, and as the voice of the world’s leading internet companies, we ensure stakeholders understand these benefit.
Ari Giovenco (@ari_stefan ) is the Director of Trade and International Policy at The Internet Association. Giovenco most recently served as Senior Director for Congressional Affairs in the Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR). Prior to USTR, Giovenco worked on Capitol Hill for Rep. Mike Thompson (CA-5).
Portland Terror Attack
We honor three American heroes – Taliesin Myrddin Namkai-Meche and Ricky John Best who were killed and Micah David-Cole Fletche who was wounded protecting two Muslim women on the subway in Portland. Crowd-funding efforts to support the three men and their families have surpassed $1 million.
Something is Fishy About the Stanley Cup
The idea of hiding catfish in your pants boggles the imagination, but Pittsburgh Mayor William Peduto didn’t jump the shark with his punny response.
Goodbye to the Saint
As a kid, Roger Moore was The Saint and James Bond to me.
- June 7th – Dan Tynan and Brenda Christensen discuss Uber’s many controveries.
- June 14th – Michelle Ferrier, Founder of Troll Busters