CLBR #255: Eva Velasquez on Identity Theft
|Data Breaches Increase 40 Percent in 2016||ITRC Fact Sheet 101: Are You at Risk for Identity Theft?||Identity Theft Red Flags|
|New Account Fraud – A Growing Trend in Identity Theft||IdentityTheft.gov||San Diego called 8th finest big city to live in|
About Eva Velasquez (@ITRCCEO)
Eva is the President/CEO at the Identity Theft Resource Center. Ms. Velasquez previously served as the Vice President of Operations for the San Diego Better Business Bureau and spent 21 years at the San Diego District Attorney’s Office. Eva has a passion for consumer protection and educating the public about identity theft, privacy, scams and fraud, and other related issues. She served as the chairman of the Consumer Fraud Task Force for 13 years and is a past Vice President of the California Consumer Affairs Association. She is recognized as a nationwide expert on identity theft and has recently been featured on the Ricki Lake show, CNBC Nightly Business Report, and Huffington Post Live. She has also been quoted in MORE and Real Simple Magazine’s, the New York Times, NBCNews.com, Today.com and numerous other outlets. Velasquez has more than 500 hours of specialized training in the investigation of economic crimes and presents at conferences across the country, including the Professionals Achieving Consumer Trust Summit, the American Bar Association, the California District Attorney’s Association Consumer Protection Conference and the California Consumer Affairs Association Annual Conference. Eva is a recipient of awards such as of The Stevie® Award for Women in Business recognizing women internationally and the 2016 Women Who Mean Business Award for her contribution to San Diego’s business, civic and cultural landscape.
About The Identity Theft Resource Center (@ITRCSD)
Founded in 1999, the Identity Theft Resource Center® (ITRC) is a nationally recognized non-profit organization established to support victims of identity theft in resolving their cases and to broaden public education and awareness in the understanding of identity theft, data breaches, cybersecurity, scams/fraud, and privacy issues. The ITRC provides no cost victim assistance and consumer education through its call center, website, social media channels, live chat feature and ID Theft Help Mobile App. For more information, visit: www.idtheftcenter.org.
San Diego Fast Facts
- With more than 1.37 million people, San Diego is the eighth-largest city in the United States and the second-largest in California.
- Ranked #8 in Wallet Hub’s Best Large Cities to Live In
- Ranked #9 in Bloomberg’s 50 Best American Cities
- Rated 13th favorite city by Travel & Leisure (best in Calif.)
- Rated No. 4 among Top Life Science and Biosciences locations (Jones Lang LaSalle 2015)
- Rated No. 2 as the Most Inventive City in the World (Forbes 2013)
- No. 1 most-patented Sports and Active lifestyle sector with 1,200-plus companies in the region (San Diego Regional EDC)
- Ranked No. 1 for lowest average commute times among peer cities (Talent, Where San Diego Stands, 2016)
- Selected as one — and the only North American — city named among National Geographic’s “World Smart Cities” (2015)
- Called “Best Place to Launch a Startup” (Forbes 2014)
- Had record-breaking 2016, attracting 34.9 million visitors who spent an all-time-high $10.4 billion and supported a tourism sector of 183,000 jobs (San Diego Tourism Authority 2016)
- 18 Miles to Mexico
95 Miles to Anaheim
112 Miles to Los Angeles