Stan Stahl, President of Citadel Information Systems, returns to discuss
The latest Cyber Security issues (see recent Cyber Report posts below)
- Cyber Security Update: Inching Towards Market Incentives
- FTC Announces Mobile App Security Consent Decrees
and the upcoming ISSA-LA Information Security Summit VI which is the premier information security event in Los Angeles.
Former White House cybersecurity czar Richard A. Clarke and Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey are among a roster of prominent speakers at the Los Angeles Chapter of the Information Systems Security Association (ISSA-LA) Sixth Annual Information Security Summit on May 16, 2014 at Hilton Universal City Hotel in Los Angeles. The theme of the Summit—The Growing Cyber Threat: Protect Your Business—reflects the reality that cybercrime impacts the financial health of all our organizations: businesses, not-for-profits, government agencies, schools and others.
Among the other speakers at the Summit are: Jeremiah Grossman, Interim CEO, WhiteHat Security; Marcus Ranum, CSO, Tenable; Marc Maiffret, CTO, Beyond Trust; Roland Cloutier, CSO, ADP; and Jim Manico, Secure Coding Instructor and Author, member of the Global Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) Board of Directors.
The ISSA-LA Summit is the only educational forum in Los Angeles specifically designed to encourage participation and interaction among all four vital information security constituencies: (1) business executives, senior business managers, and their trusted advisors; (2) technical IT personnel with responsibility for information systems and the data they contain; (3) law enforcement and (4) information security practitioners with responsibility for ensuring the security of sensitive information.
Registration is open to anyone interested in learning more about information security but is particularly recommended for business and nonprofit executives and senior managers; business professionals in law, accounting, insurance and banking; technical IT personnel; law enforcement professionals fighting cybercrime; faculty and students in college and university cybersecurity programs; and information security practitioners.
For more information go to http://summit.issala.org/.
Below are recent interviews Richard Clarke gave on Cloud Security and Cyber Warfare.:
Dr. Stan Stahl
Dr. Stahl is a pioneer in the field of information security, having entered the field in 1980. He began his career securing teleconferencing at the White House, databases inside Cheyenne Mountain and the communications network controlling our nuclear weapons arsenal. As President of Citadel Information Group, he brings this experience to business, government, and the not-for-profit community.
Dr. Stahl excels at helping his clients develop and implement information security management strategies consistent with their unique information security responsibilities, their business realities and their cultural circumstances. This unusual management capability was developed through a career filled with growth, innovation and achievement in the management of technology and its strategic integration into the organization. Dr. Stahl has honed his craft not only through his extensive experience in the management of information security but also through his experiences as (i) COO of an online management education and training company, (ii) a strategic management consultant specializing in business performance, (iii) a software engineer, (iv) a research scientist and even (v) a mathematics professor.
Dr. Stahl earned his Ph.D. in mathematics from The University of Michigan and spent nearly 15 years teaching university mathematics. Once an active researcher, Dr. Stahl has published more than a dozen papers in advanced mathematics and computer science. He has taught courses in information security, software engineering, project management and computer programming at several universities and colleges. He recently served on the faculty at the University of Southern California in the School of Engineering’s Information Technology Program.
A few highlights from Dr. Stahl’s information security portfolio:
- Co-founder of Citadel Information Group, providing information security management services to business, government, and the not-for-profit community so they might more effectively secure their critical information assets
- President, Los Angeles Chapter, Information Systems Security Association
- Invited-Member of White House Presidential Task Force, recommending government strategies to better secure private-sector computer and communications systems
- Invited-Member of National Information Security Study Group, supporting National Security Agency and Department of Commerce in determining national information security needs
- Led design teams prototyping first provably-secure firewall and first provable multilevel secure database management system
- Developed first formal general-purpose mathematically-sound information security model; co-developed Fundamental Equation of Information Security
- Information security author, including Information Security Management Handbook, 5th and 6th Editions
- Speaks regularly on information security management, conferences, seminars and workshops, both in the US and internationally
- Past-Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Continuity Insights and author of TechTalk column