CYBER ATTACKS FROM IRAN, CHINA & RUSSIA – OH MY!
CLBR Veteran Stan Stahl Updates Us on Cyber Security
The past few weeks have seen headline after headline and report after report about major Cyber Attacks against the U.S. and U.S. businesses from Iran and China and of an emerging marketplace for Cyber Crime in Russia. Veteran CLBR guest Stan Stahl returns to explain what is going on and what is or should be done about it. (Bio below).
Dr. Stahl is a pioneer in the field of information security, having entered the field in 1980. He began his career securing teleconferencing at the White House, databases inside Cheyenne Mountain and the communications network controlling our nuclear weapons arsenal. As President of Citadel Information Group, he brings this experience to business, government, and the not-for-profit community.
Dr. Stahl excels at helping his clients develop and implement information security management strategies consistent with their unique information security responsibilities, their business realities and their cultural circumstances. This unusual management capability was developed through a career filled with growth, innovation and achievement in the management of technology and its strategic integration into the organization. Dr. Stahl has honed his craft not only through his extensive experience in the management of information security but also through his experiences as (i) COO of an online management education and training company, (ii) a strategic management consultant specializing in business performance, (iii) a software engineer, (iv) a research scientist and even (v) a mathematics professor.
Dr. Stahl earned his Ph.D. in mathematics from The University of Michigan and spent nearly 15 years teaching university mathematics. Once an active researcher, Dr. Stahl has published more than a dozen papers in advanced mathematics and computer science. He has taught courses in information security, software engineering, project management and computer programming at several universities and colleges. He recently served on the faculty at the University of Southern California in the School of Engineering’s Information Technology Program.
A few highlights from Dr. Stahl’s information security portfolio:
- Co-founder of Citadel Information Group, providing information security management services to business, government, and the not-for-profit community so they might more effectively secure their critical information assets
- President, Los Angeles Chapter, Information Systems Security Association
- Invited-Member of White House Presidential Task Force, recommending government strategies to better secure private-sector computer and communications systems
- Invited-Member of National Information Security Study Group, supporting National Security Agency and Department of Commerce in determining national information security needs
- Led design teams prototyping first provably-secure firewall and first provable multilevel secure database management system
- Developed first formal general-purpose mathematically-sound information security model; co-developed Fundamental Equation of Information Security
- Information security author, including Information Security Management Handbook, 5th and 6th Editions
- Speaks regularly on information security management, conferences, seminars and workshops, both in the US and internationally
- Past-Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Continuity Insights and author of TechTalk column